Sunday, March 29, 2009

So...what's the point???

So like any good book, I am forced to wonder after reading The River Between, "What is the point of what I just read?"  The point of this book is to question and evaluate religion, morals and values.  There is a constant struggle between the ways of Joshua and the ways of tradition African culture. Most importantly, Nyambura and Waiyaki fall victims to this struggle.  With their endless love for each other and their own love for their certain way of life, the couple encounters obstacle after obstacle.  Both come to a point in their young lives when they start to think, "Is the path I'm traveling on a good path?  Should I reconsider my religion, my morals, my values and my life?"  Even Muthoni is an example of this questioning.  She loves her father and his religion, but she feels a strong tie to her culture and wants to be seen as an African woman.

Throughout this book, I even catch myself wondering about my religion, my morals and my values.  The quote that hit me the most was in the later part of the book when Nyambura opening questions herself, "Day by day she became weary of Joshua's brand of religion.  Was she too becoming a rebel?  No.  She would not do as her sister had done.  She knew, however, that she had to have a God who would giver her a fullness of life..." (102).  Nyambura knows that she would not betray her father and her faith as her sister did, but she still finds flaws in her way of life.  In the end, the two halves of Africa (the traditional customs and the modern religion) cannot exist together.  Is this to mean that the two conflicting forms of religion and morals/values cannot live side by side in harmony?  One must prevail over the other?  No, I don't think that is what the author intended this book to say.  He intended this book to show that without understand and cooperation, this story can unfold everywhere.  With understand and cooperation, this story can be avoided and the two halves have a chance to live together.  The point of this book is to question and evaluate our personal ways of life, but understand and appreciate other ways as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment