Monday, January 19, 2009

Just under forty-six years ago, I spoke of a dream I had where young African American boys and girls will join hands with little white boys and girls and walk together as sisters and brothers. I had a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Ladies and gentlemen, over the past forty-six years, I have witnessed my dream become fulfilled.
Since I last spoke on these steps at the Lincoln Memorial, the nation has risen up and lived out the true meaning of its creed, all men and women are being created equal. My four children are being judged by their character and not their skin. Little African American boys and girls are joining hands as brothers and sisters.
Tomorrow marks a day that shows how far America has come as a country in the past forty-six years. In the past forty-six years America has achieved remarkable feats. Not all African Americans could vote for president, but, tomorrow Barack Obama will be elected the first African American president- a feat that seemed unachievable for African Americans forty-six years ago. An African American man has now achieved the highest honor in the United States. The election of Obama shows that American citizens no longer judge by the color of a person’s skin, but by their character.
Barack Obama’s election now sheds light on any person’s dreams. No matter what color skin you may have, any dream is not impossible, but can be achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment