Sunday, February 8, 2009

Opportunity for Success

My four years of high school were spent at a small private school, my graduating class being thirty-seven.  Because we were so small, we were closer and participated in many things together.  There were no class or activity restrictions for males and females; though sports teams were gender appropriate there were plenty of options for both males and females.  AP classes and regular courses had a good balance of guys and girls, even Organic Chemistry my senior year had three boys and three girls.  There were no gender trends in my classes with there being more guys and fewer girls, or vice versa.  The majority of my class was very athletic so guys never took over athletic events or dominated the gym; teams were usually even with both girls and guys participating.  The opportunity for success was available and the same for everyone, without regard to gender, race, background or interests.  What differed was individuals desire to take advantage of it.  Countless advanced academic programs came through my school and were available to both male and female applicants.  I honestly cannot think of an instance in which equal opportunity was not given to both guys and girls.  I never felt excluded from opportunity because I am a girl.  Yes, our co-valedictorians were girls, but the co-salutatorians were guys; just about everything seemed even that way.  Though comments were always made that guys were stronger and more successful on the field and girls smarter and more successful in the classroom, there was a good balance among my classmates.  We could cream the guys any day!          

No comments:

Post a Comment