Sunday, February 8, 2009

There was equal opportunity....well mostly

In terms of gender equality at my high school, I would say that both females and males were mostly given equal opportunity. Both males and females had the same opportunity to be in the same classes. AP and high level courses were always mixed. If one gender took majority over another in one particular class it was not because the other didn’t have the opportunity to be in the class. Of course the same tests were given to both males and females, the same materials were used by both genders, and one was never graded differently because of their gender. Our sports teams were given equal opportunity as well. Our girl’s teams took just as much precedence as boys teams did. In addition girls were accepted onto the previously all male golf team and a male played on the field hockey team. Practice facilities were never given to male teams over female teams and vice-versa. On the same note, better facilities were not appropriated to certain gender teams over others. If there was one area in my high school where I could see a version of unequal opportunity for males and females I would have to choose gym classes. Through observation I noticed that male gym teachers often went easier on their girl students than their male students. Often times some girls would get away with hardly participating in class, yet they would receive the same grade that others who participated would get. In addition, these teachers often penalized the males who didn’t participate as much, more so than these girls, when it came time to submit grades. In addition, when I had female gym teachers, I would notice that certain teachers were much harder on the girls who didn’t participate than on the boys who didn’t participate. Again, the only area in my high school where I perceived there to be gender inequality would be on occasion in gym classes, depending on who the teacher was.

No comments:

Post a Comment