Friday, February 6, 2009

girls rule, boys drool! ... just kidding

In my high school, for the most part, there was equality for males and females. Within the students, we had a female class president, and for the most part the rest of our officers were female. We would all get graded equally and treated the same. Our principal, a female, and our assistant principals, four males, always dealt with the students in the same way, no matter what sex they were. In the matter of sports, there was a male and female team for all sports except football and field hockey. I believe a girl could go out for the football team if they wanted to, but in my four years in high school I never saw a girl on the team. In other schools in the district, I would occasionally see a girl or two on their football teams. One year I think a couple guys tried to go out for our field hockey team, but the coach did not allow them on the teams. I think that was the only time girls and boys were not given an equal chance for something. This is a little odd, because when most people think about inequality for sexes, it’s usually the females with fewer rights than the males. But for the most part, in my high school, girls and boys were treated equally.
Some things that might have been overlooked were actions in the classrooms. In gym class, boys usually took over the games being played, like basketball or soccer. They wouldn’t always pass to girls or they’d leave them out altogether. In the actual classrooms, I always noticed that in the higher level classes there were normally mostly girls and very few boys. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with equality, but it definitely was a division between how males and females were viewed in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment