Monday, February 16, 2009

Untouched Nature Has Value

William Wordsworth begins his poem by expressing how it has been too long since he has revisited the location of the Tintern Abbey. He begins to reminisce about the last time he visited the place, and childhood memories flood into his brain. The sounds, smells, and general experience of the nature amuse him and he adores them. Wordsworth appreciates every aspect of nature, because nature allows him to escape into a different world. He has “thoughts of more deep seclusion” as he thinks about the nature around him. He even explains how the memories of this specific place have an influence on him in other times. He says “ These beauteous forms, Through a long absence, have not been to me As is a landscape to a blind man’s eye.” As the poem continues, I find myself feeling extreme emotion from Wordsworth as if he is almost saddened but what the world has become. We tend to forget nature’s beauty in the bustle of our cities, and even abuse nature. For nature is not like humans who often betray or humiliate, it is simply there in its beautiful state. As Wordsworth says “Knowing that nature never did betray, The heart that loved her.” Throughout the poem, Wordsworth’s words make the reader feel as if nature is embedded deep into the heart. Without the fond memories of Tintern Abbey from his past, there would be a whole in his heart (obviously not literally). Although Wordsworth understands that these encounters with nature are in the past, he still says “Therefore am I still, A lover of the meadows and the woods, And mountains; and of all that we behold.” For he will always hold nature to the highest esteem.

P.S. - This poem reminds me of a special time when I was young and rode horses. When I went on "trail rides", I would go alone and see a beautiful spot completely untouched by mankind. I would lie on my horse and dream of fairies and such. At times I wish to return to that spot, but yet have not.

No comments:

Post a Comment