Saturday, February 7, 2009

From an Unconventional Perspective

Growing up home schooled, it's not exactly easy to identify if your female classmates are being treated the same. My sister, though, was home schooled along with me, only being two grades behind me. Growing up in a loving home, we were both given equal opportunities to take control of our own educations. Gender had no effect on what we were allowed to do: we both had choice in what classes we took for the year, what extracurricular activities we explored, and anything else beyond home. Even now with me being gone, my mom offers to my sister an opportunity I found to be one of the most influential to my academic career: enrolling in community college for senior year. So as far as the household goes, gender almost didn't exist. Even beyond my family, equality was among my friends and peers at the community college. To them, they had opportunity to explore their own class options and career choices with no differences due to their own physical being. Sex had as much influence as size and race, which was about next to none.
Really, it's hard to say much on the topic since there really isn't much to talk about. Saying I came from an unconventional upbringing is an understatement, but it is one I embrace. It gave me an opportunity to live close to both my family and a community of friendship, with both teaching me that it is not just our physical makeup that decides the opportunities due to any one person, but that all people deserve those opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment